[3830] WPX CW KT2Z(K5NA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@ecpi.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KT2Z(K5NA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:06:52 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KT2Z
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1
   20: 1043

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first time that I remember doing an all-band effort in the CQ WPX
Contest. I have typically done single-band 10M efforts where I didn't have to
worry about all the strategy decisions. What band should I be on, when should I
take time off, should I take time off right now if my QSO rate is lagging, am I
doing the SO2R thing to full effectiveness, etc????

But with some encouragement from friends, I gave it a try. I have to admit that
I might be back doing a single-band next year. All that strategy thought just
gives me a headache.

We had thunderstorms in the area all weekend but GORF (the God of RF) directed
them to pass to the east and to the west of the K5NA QTH. Thus the low bands
were very noisy and required a lot of repeat requests, sometimes the high bands
too. But I never had to QRT for storms.

10M was almost non-existent but I did make 5 southern European QSOs. 15M was
also a disappointment with only 33 European QSOs. Of course 20M and 40M were
the money bands if you were willing to work through the static crashes.

I was pleasantly surprised at good conditions on 80M to the far east and made
47 JA QSOs there. However, I made zero QSOs with Europe on 80M.

I scanned 160M a couple of times and worked only WV8JR. Oddly, this callsign
doesn't seem to exist in the FCC database. So, who was it?

Thanks to my son for allowing me to use his KT2Z callsign.

73, Richard - K5NA (KT2Z)