[3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, quack@planetebay.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:09:42 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas Tx
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:   27    19
   80:  140    58
   40:  725    87
   20:  456    75
   15:  357    73
   10:   26    11
-------------------
Total: 1731   323  Total Score = 1,629,858

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

40 was OK, with 2 hours of EU run each night. Rates not spectacular. A great EU
run begins with LOTS of Russians and a higher nightpath MUF. I didn't try
running 40 during the last 2 hours of our daylight. That might have worked, but
ran JA's on 15 & 20 instead.

10 & 160 were awful and I didn't run much on 80. I should have done better
during the day on Saturday. Began with a run on 20 with hoards of EU callers on
same freq which slowed my rate to about 120. I like spikes well over 200, but
that happens best when only 2 or 3 call at a time. It is a mistake to stay too
long on 20 when the openings on 15 are short (learned in CQWW 2005). Arrived on
15 late, and got booted off several freqs before going high in band. Rate wasn't
good there. Afternoon JA openings got late start both days with noisy 20 & 15
bands. With full 15 stack on JA, dug several scandinavians out of noise before
first JA finally called. Finished first day with mult totals on 20 & 15 really
sad. On Sunday did everything right. SO2R with N1MM is getting really smooth
here, where I used to fear it. Can now sweep 2nd band when rates are well above
100 on run freq. This is great fun.

Started contest fully rested, but didn't have the stamina to take the breaks
when I planned them. Intended to stay in chair for first 20+ hours for the end
of the good rate on 20. Had to take first break at 1849z while rate was still
good. Slept 90 minutes and returned to very slow afternoon condx. Took 2nd
break (30 minutes) in middle of 40M JA run at 1219z Sunday and final break (20
minutes) at 1704z during good 20M condx. I hope this is a fluke, but I did just
turn age 59. The IARU test is 24 hours with no breaks (I hope). No, I do NOT
want to change the rules. My thanx to Jay and Sharon...

Quack (aka Roy) -- AD5Q