[3830] RTTY Roundup KI5XP(@W5WMU) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cfmorris@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup KI5XP(@W5WMU) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:04:46 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: KI5XP
Operator(s): KI5XP
Station: W5WMU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Lafayette, La.
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

   10:    3
------------
Total: 1875  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 68  Total Score = 234,375

Club: Cajun Contest Club

Comments:

What a fun contest, conditions were excellent.  Shouldnt have taken my break
when I did, rate was going well at the time, but I figured it would be better
Sunday.  That was wrong, things were down when I came back and never quite
recovered.

DX on 40 was excellent eary Saturday evening, picked up lots of mults there.
Picked up a few more on Sunday cq'n on 20m.  15 was pretty decent, worked fine,
and 10 never seemed to open and stay open.  One minute i could hear P49X and
PJ2T, then they were gone.  I managed 3 q's though, although no mults.  20M
cq'n netting Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Falklands, Reunion, ZL's, ZC's and VK's.
Never heard 1a4a, but dont know if they were in the test or not.

This was a tiring week, between football bowl games, traveling to New Orleans
and contesting.  It apparently caught up to me about 5:00pm on Saturday, when I
started sneezing and came down with a cold right in the middle of the contest.
I hoped my off time would carry me through, but there were several times when I
contemplated quitting and going to bed.  Thankfully Don's words reverberated in
my head, I had to try to defend my title.  Looks like Mike's going to take it
this year, congrats to him!

Finally worked the entire contest with both of my 756's, and what a difference.
 The filtering in the rig is excellent compared to the older Yaesu's.  It
definitely allows for sneaking in between frequencies to do a little cq'n here
and there.  The TPF/RFGain works well on 15, I ran the Preamp2 to help boost
signals and hopefully chopped down the noise with the RFGain.  On 40 and 80, I
employed VA7OJ's DBM's from Heaven maneuver, where I used the TPF, put 12db of
antenuation in and then rode the rfgain.  Worked like a charm, amazing to see
the signals go from nothing to perfect print.

Thanks for the q's and again, congrats to Mike, I knew his SO2R was going to be
champ sooner or later!

73
Charlie
KI5XP