[3830] TBDC P40W(W2GD) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gd@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC P40W(W2GD) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:29:41 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: P49Y/P40L

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

Total:  QSOs = 355  Total Score = 3,264

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

IC756ProII, Alpha 87A 1KW
Vertical Dipole, Beverages NE and NW
Win-Test V 3.62

A last minute decision to spend some vacation time the week between Christmas
and New Years on Aruba made possible this operation from the P49Y/P40L super
station, a mile south of my regular P40W QTH.

During the 3 days before the Stew, spent time reconfiguring the TX antenna from
an inverted V into a vertical dipole, a 55' vertical.  See the article on the
YCCC website by K2KQ for details on this antenna.  I use this same
configuration at my regular P4 location.  Limited tests over several nights
indicated the antenna was performing well, better than the prior inverted V.
During the Stew, it seemed I could work anyone I could hear, and clearly I was
not coping many who would call but were covered by the building QRN.
Unfortunately the static got progressively worse as the evening progessed.

Probably started the contest a bit late at 2300 UTC.  Sundown is 2240z on Aruba
but a social obligaton prevented getting back to the station earlier.  Was
somewhat surprised to hear the band full of stations. YV5MBX, KV4FZ, N0FW/KP2,
W4AN (W8JI/K4BAI) and PJ2/WB9Z were very loud of course.  Called CQ most of the
time and had some nice runs of Ws.  But signals from the states were for the
most part not particularly loud all evening.  I was encouraged by the number of
W6 and W7 stations that called in overall.

There were many peaks and valleys in this contest. Eventually managed to work
38 EU stations, 95% on CQs, the first being F6IRA at 0112Z and the last OH1ND
at 0742Z.  UA2FF was by far the loudest EU station who called.  Best DX overall
was ZC4LI (10295 km) at 0455Z. Second best was UU4JMG at 0114Z.  It was nice to
hear ZP6CW, CE1/K7CA, HP3XUG, KH6AT and 8P9NX active.  I believe I heard ZL3IX
call me around 0645z but I just couldn't pull him out of the rising QRN.   By
0800 the rate has down to 'extra slow' and the noise just became too much so I
decided to QRT.

I want to thank AE6Y and W6LD for providing use of their cottage for the week,
and want to wish everyone a Happy New Year 2007.

Looking forward to working everyone again in the CQWW160 CW later this month
from FM29 (SNJ).

73,

John W2GD/P40W