[3830] CQWW CW G0CKV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, olof@rowanhouse.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW G0CKV SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:37:17 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G0CKV
Operator(s): G0CKV
Station: G0CKV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: London
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  100     7       40
   80:  278    14       57
   40:  241    16       73
   20:  264    15       57
   15:  208    18       54
   10:   35     8       28
------------------------------
Total: 1126    78      309  Total Score = 705,501

Club: CDXC Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

This was fun.  Although this was my first CQ WW contest for more than 35 years I
felt right at home after a few minutes. I guess it was different â?? in the
60â??s I used high power and big antennas but this time I was running barefoot
into literally very wet strings at 25 ft up in my suburban back garden. Here is
a photo of my fabulous ecologically correct antenna farm:
http://www.g0ckv.com/antennafarm/wetstring.jpg . Can you spot the 1mm black
wire in there?

With such antennas I couldnâ??t hear or work much with very low elevation angle
as is obvious from the zone count, nor would I even try to waste my time in any
real pile up. I didnâ??t attempt a single CQ, it was all 100% S&P â?? but that
may well have been a mistake.

The vast majority of operators were great. Thank you to all those DX who were
able to pick out my faint whispers. Some of you guys have put together contest
stations that beat the old commercial HF stuff into the dust. That HC8N signal
booming into Europe on all bands would get my price â?? how do you do it???
(Pssst: Do you have any hints on what I should do in my suburban garden to get
a signal like yours for next year?)

It was interesting to observe how many of the smarter big guys placed
themselves up the band rather than jamming each other at the low end of the
band. After a while I hardly listened at the low end â?? the qrm was such that
it would have been a time-waster with my low power and bad antennas.

Conditions must have been outstanding judging from the ease with which I
leisurely S&Pâ??d together my score. Sunspot minima used to mean misery but the
world must have changed.

My objective was to have fun and I met the objective. It is a pity this contest
doesnâ??t run every weekend â?¦

73 de Olof

G0CKV â?? (SM6CKV) (SK6AB) SM0CKV W6CKV