[3830] CQWW CW VK9AA(VK2IA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vk2ia@vkcc.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VK9AA(VK2IA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 22:30:54 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VK9AA
Operator(s): VK2IA
Station: VK9AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Cocos Keeling Is

  160:    1     1        1
   80:   52    28       46
   40:  789    31       93
   20:  722    32      103
   15: 1341    33      110
   10: 1219    27       97
------------------------------

Club: VKCC

Comments:

RIG:  K2 + Linear
      Spider beam @ 7m (20 â?? 10)
      2 ele wire beam @ 10m (40)
      Vertical (80)
      Dipole @ 10m (160)

Great contest again!  Tried to keep the Aussie/Oceania flag flying in a contest
dominated by other parts of the world...

Achieved almost exactly the same total score as in 2005, this time with fewer
mults but more QSOs.  Despite low sunspots, I ended up again not too far below
the current Oceania record which stands at 7.67 M.  With a bit of luck, similar
condx and improved antennas (--> more low band mults), there's a good chance
that the OC record will be broken next year.

After CQWW finished on Monday early morning, I started my second contest taking
all antennas down, packing them and storing them away.  Finished just in time at
5pm before my flight left back to Perth at 5.30pm.  I think I gotta do something
substantially different next year...

160 â?? A write-off.  Poor (low) dipole antenna only good for one QSO and
double mult.  No comparison to 2005 when I got 32 mults out of that band

80 - S&P only, mostly EU around my sunrise (22-23 z), a bit NA/SA around sunset
time (11.30-12z).  Surprisingly, EU was hard work despite my quarter wave
vertical. Not sure what 80m antenna I will use next year.

40 â?? QSO numbers increased compared to last year mainly because of a new 2
ele wire beam (inv vee) at 10 m.  Still not happy with QSO rates.  Each time
when spotted on cluster, my frequency turned into a mess, resulting in me
moving elsewhere if QRM became too bad.  EU pse LSN...

20 â?? Not my favourite band.  I seem to stay away from 20 whenever I can and
only go there when I realise that I need more Qs and mults.  Consequently, I
moved to 20 too late on Sunday.  Bottom line for next year: Run more EU on 20
already on day 1.  Missed my 'home zone' 30 on this band.

15 â?? The money earner.  Only 50 W's (mainly W6/7) and 2 VEs worked (VE7 via
SP and VO1 via LP).  Abundance of EU and JA.  Working loud CAR and SA late at
night always feels a bit like picking big red ripe cherries when S&P.

10 â?? Massive pile-ups and great runs into EU on both days with rates up to
210 Q/h.  W/VE not heard at all on 10.  Except for W6/7 and VE7, most of W/VE
is hidden behind the pole from Cocos.  Looking forward to better sunspot
numbers...

Completely missed out on zones 1(!), 2, 12 and 40 on any band.

Thanks for the Qs to everyone and see you next year from Cocos!
73

Bernd VK2IA-VK9AA  (QSL via DL8YR)