[3830] WAE CW W4ZW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW W4ZW Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:00:13 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: W4ZW
Operator(s): W4ZW
Station: W4ZW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Casey Key Island, FL

   80:    4     4     2
   40:   81    81    26
   20:   85    85    25
   15:   29    29    18
   10:    3     1     3
-------------------------
Total:  202   200    74  Total Score = 71,556

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

SOAPBOX: Conditions seemed fair but seemed like there were fewer Europeans
than I remember in past contests. I've always liked this contest because of
the unusual format.  I know most of the EU stations record the QTC exchange,
but judging from the fill requests, many still copy.  Great OPs!  Florida is
not favored in this one.  I could hear the NE running EU but I could only
hear them in and out of the noise floor here, especially on 80M and 10M.  I
busted a lot of Q's on 10M when I just couldn't catch the full exchange with
the terrific QSB.  EU was loud on 40M but there just weren't that many of
them, at least when I was on.  The 15M opening was nice, but again there was
severe QSB.  They would pop out of the noise and disappear almost as
quickly.  I am amazed at the difference in signal levels of the big EU
contest stations who are a full 8-9 S units over most of the rest. I can
remember being one of those ESP EU stations when I first tried a contest
from Moscow with a 100W and a hustler mounted on the balcony of my
apartment.  The big US guns just CQed in my face, and most EU for that
matter.  I'm going to try a phased array for receiving on 80M and maybe I
will be able to hear better even though the noise level this weekend seemed
quite low. For a pile-up junkie like me, I wasn't having much fun digging
around in the noise on 80 and 40 for a 2 minute exchange.  Especially when I
have the AGC off, and jockeying the gain/attenuator to get a ESP call and
then have my ears blasted with a US station still calling after I dumped my
call.   I pulled the plug and went to bed. Great to hear fellow FCGers N4BP,
K1PT, N4PN, WK2G, NF4A.  Bob, N4BP, and Paul, N4PN you guys were LOUD! Had
to quit early, off to a debutante thing.