[3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZV SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZV SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:12:05 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: NC

  160:  357    71
Total:  357    71  Total Score = 76,041

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My submitted log will actually show 358 X 72 but I'm certain D6B was a prankster
having some fun Saturday night!  :-)  I was pleased to beat last year's score
even before I quit Saturday morning.  I also broke WW2Y's record but I'm sure
several others did as well.  Conditions were fair but I expect to see even
better conditions in the future.  The cycle low should occur about this time
next year and 160 conditions are often better on the leading edge of the new
cycle, so 2008 could be even better than 2007.  Can you tell...I LOVE solar
cycle lows!  :-)

Highlights:

*  3 QRP QSO's (2 OK1's and an ON6)...QRP is a special thrill on 160
*  Far less QRM, clicks, etc. than the CQ 160 CW
*  3 different 4X4 stations (and 4X4NJ isn't even in Israel now)
*  An OM5 at 0752z...over 2 hours after his sunrise
*  A surprise early opening to JA (but no sunrise peak)
*  3 VK's after zero in the CQ 160

Lowlights:

*  Stations who never sent "QRL?" before blasting out CQ's
*  DX that went split "UP 1"...right on top of my run frequency
*  An S9++ spur Saturday night that sounded like an antenna arcing

Suggestions for Caribbean expeditioners:

1.  Operate below 1810 or above 1850 if you can.  That area is relatively clear
and your pileups will not interfere with NA<->EU QSO's which are mostly from
1810-1850.  Kudos to VP5/WJ2O for running below 1810!

2.  Please don't go split without considering the pileups you create.  6V6U,
8P9PA and EA8ZS all went split, but only 6V6U listened outside the 1810-1850
area.

Equipment:

Ten-Tec Orion + Amp Supply LK-800 = 1.5 kW
TX ants:  3 el parasitic vertical (lo angle); inverted-V up 30m (hi angle)
RX ants:  8 single Beverages; 1 end-fire pair toward Europe
More antenna info:  http://users.vnet.net/btippett/new_page_10.htm

The ARRL DX is replacing the CQ 160 CW as my favorite Topband contest mainly
because of much less QRM on both sides of the Atlantic.  Working weak DX is
really fun when you can avoid clicks and frequency fights.  My only wish is for
more activity since at times it felt like I had run out of stations to work.  DX
stations are missing the very best contest there is for completing their WAS on
160 since there is a much higher probability of them being heard here and since
our state is in the exchange.

Thanks to all for your patience and my apologies to some whose calls or
exchanges I could never pull out of the QSB and noise.  Such is life on
Topband...challenging but fun!

73,  Bill  W4ZV