[3830] ARRL 10 K5PTC(N1LN) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@consolidated.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K5PTC(N1LN) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:56:22 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K5PTC
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 7.0

   CW:  396    58
  SSB:  204    39
-------------------
Total:  600    97  Total Score = 193,224

Club: Pesky Texan Contest Club

Comments:

As I didn't have time this weekend to make a serious effort I started just
sweeping the bands giving out some S/P Qs.  Well, as the band sounded pretty
active and perhaps even open enough to play I found a good SSB frequency and
started to run.  When my rate hit 250/hr (10 min burst) I was having fun.  My
top SSB hour was 120. Not great, but not bad.  Then the weekend activities got
in the way and the contest was left behind.

Later Saturday afternoon I had another break from the chores.....and thought I
would try CW.  Also lots of fun.  I was on from 21:30 - 24:00 UTC.  My rate went
right up to about 120/hr and then I worked Marty - W5MF and he spotted me.  Up
went the rate to over 150.  As the rate started to come down I worked Mike -
K5UO.  Well, back up went the rate to over 150.  That was a fun 2.5 hr run.  The
longest time slot that I would have the opportunity to put together all
weekend.

Now how about those really strange propagation conditions?  Most of the SSB and
CW Qs on Saturday were with US and South America using my low beam (about 35'
up) set to a heading of due east. (I am just north of Houston, TX)  I never
heard anything west of MO regardless of beam heading.  Sunday - major
difference.  I started out sweeping the bands working some S/P again and
actually worked a couple of VE7s with the 100' high beam - pointed AT THEM.
So...found a frequency (CW) and started to play.  NOTHING but VE7, VE6, WA, and
OR.  Like a pipeline from TX to the NW.  No California yet. Then the band
started to change and a couple VKs and ZLs called me.  Then the pipeline moved
south a bit and ONLY California, except for one KH6.  The NE stations were few
and far between on Sunday.  SA was still there on the low beam - now at a
heading of 150 deg - right at SA as it should be.  Sunday I was quite happy to
have 4 beams and used them all - NE, NW, SE and SW.  Sure saved time without
having to rotate them.

All in all - with only 7hrs on the air it was fun.  The QRN was very high at
times from my QTH so if I could not hear you it was probably at my end.   Thanks
to all for the repeats, the Qs and the fun.

73,
Bruce - N1LN
(K5PTC - Pesky Texan Contest Club)