[3830] SS SSB K5ER Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5er@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K5ER Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 00:19:17 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K5ER
Operator(s): K5ER
Station: K5ER

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA

  160:    0
   10:    0

Club: Twin City Ham Club

Comments:

Living in the same section as Pat, W5WMU, is a mixed blessing. I know I will get
an LA, but I also know I can't compete heads up, so I can't run HP. With only a
small tribander and wires, running low power, I was not a "big gun", so I
usually concentrated on the clean sweep, rather than on raw score. This has
worked in the past, as I have Clean Sweep cups from five years.

For 2004, I made a concerted effort to be more competitive. I won Louisiana(SO
Low power), and placed second in Delta Div. It was my first section win in a
major HF contest, but I wanted to do even better.

For 2005, I changed from a TH-3 at 60 feet, to a TH-6 @ 90 feet, plus a Force12
C-31XR @ 60' with a Force12 EF-240 at 72'. Thanks Kevin, W5KGT, and the other
guys for all the tower/antenna work.

This year, I almost got them all, only missed NT and (oddly) OK. Better antenna,
plus more agressive operating, (due to running several multi op contests the
past year with W5WZ), made a big difference. This year's QSO count went up by
36%. Although still not a "big gun", I am no longer just a "cap pistol" either.
Don't know how I will place, but it sure was more fun when you can hear and be
heard.

Thanks also to Dave, K8CC, for the NA software and Randy, K5ZD, for the support
files that make it a whole lot easier to run these contests.

For next year, will look at automating some of the station, replacing all the
(aging) feedlines, and optimizing the wires dipoles.

To all who made it into the log, thanks for another good time and hope to see
you in the next one.

73,
K5ER