[3830] SS SSB K6LL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ll@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K6LL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:38:16 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first use of the N1MM Logger. It worked quite well, with just a few
relatively minor glitches. The so2r mic and wav switching is sure elegant.

About an hour into the contest, the speech processor in one of the rigs failed.
Fortunately, the non-processed audio still worked, but it lacked punch, and made
me feel weak. I pretty much stuck to the other rig after that, which made for a
lot of amplifier tuning on the band changes.

I was on 14298 before dawn, and when the 14300 net got active, they sent out the
frequency cops. They proceeded to jam me with God-awful noises, but the funny
part was that they jammed the entire net for about 10 minutes with their broad
signals! It turned out well for me, because I found out that 15 was open and
scooted. I even got a nasty e-mail from one of the net members. It's like they
are on a Mission From God, and require a clear channel of 6 KHz or more.
Likewise, the sstv jammers were out in force. They apparently demand that 14225
to 14235 remain clear of any ssb, even if no sstv'er is using the frequency.

Competition is sure increasing in the Unlimited category. The filtered packet
spots (US, VE only) were coming in at about one per second, with only the
non-dupes appearing on the bandmap. It's like being at a multiop with 300 people
doing an S&P search for you! I didn't do much spotting until the end, because I
never learned how to do it with the N1MM Logger. Finally, I found a handy button
on the screen that had been staring me in the face for 20 hours.

Gotta run out and buy the bird. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Thanks for all the
Q's.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.