[3830] SS CW K5GO(N5DX) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K5GO(N5DX) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:42:07 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K5GO
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: K5GO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0
   10:    2

Club: Ozark Contest Club

Comments:

This was a fun contest.  My goal was 1300 Qs and a sweep, which I was hoping
would get me into the top ten.  Very pleased with my score, considering it was
the first time I have worked the sweepstakes in the high power category.
Looking at how close some of the scores are illustrates the point that every
minute counts and that band changes and off times are critical to making the
most out of the contest.

Used my dad's call because /go/ is easier to copy than /dx/ at high speeds.  A
big thanks to my dad for all of his hard work to get the station ready to go.
K5GO worked very hard in the months leading up to the contest to get our
multi-multi station turned into a fully functional SO2R station.  We are now set
up to go from one to the other in less than 30 minutes.

Operating wise, I probably spent to much time on 80 Sunday morning trying to get
something going.  The rate wasn't bad, but 40 probably would have been more
productive.  Noise on Saturday night was also bad here in Arkansas.  On the top
40 pointed West it was 20 over 9 with the preamp off and on the bottom 40 it was
S9 to the Northeast.  So I took off 30 minutes when it got really bad, in
retrospect this probably was a great decision.  Camped out on 7.026 for the last
1.5 hours of the contest and kept the last ten around 50, which was much better
than any other rate I was able to get going on Sunday.  The 8's and 9's were
very loud here Sunday night on 40,  W8MJ was 35db over 9.

The station probably won't be active in the SS SSB, but we will be doing
multi-multi in the CQWW CW.

73
Kevin/N5DX