[3830] CQWW SSB NI6W(W4EF) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4EF@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB NI6W(W4EF) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:17:53 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NI6W
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W6BCQ

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Hemet, Ca
Operating Time (hrs):

   20:  940    37      130
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig:   FT1000MP MKV
Amp:   Homebrew 4-1000Z Linear
Antenna(s):  6el monobander x 60ft boom at 125'
             1/4 wave vertical @ 20ft

Thanks to Keith W6BCQ for letting me drive his
fine station for the weekend. It was nice to
leave all the birdies and buzzes and the high
mountain blockage of the San Gabriel Valley for
the rural rolling hills south of Hemet. Had some
pretty fierce line noise from a bad insulator
northwest of Keith's QTH on Saturday morning
before sunrise, but miracuously it quit right
before the sun came up and I thought I had died
and gone to heaven. Nothing but a gentle hiss
before the signals from Europe exploded. QRM
was unbelieveable fierce when the band was
open to Europe. I was really glad I had loaded
the FT1000MP MK V with those dual INRAD
2.1KHz filters SSB filters and the 1st IF
roofing filter before the contest. I was riding
the "IF Shift" and the "Width" controls all
weekend trying to pull callsigns out from the
splatter. Keith and I hooked up his 1/4 wave
reference vertical on the roof of the barn
before the contest in hopes that it would save
wear and tear on the rotator when I was
searching and pouncing for mults, but as it
turned out the big yagi was almost always
better even when it was pointed the wrong way.

Was hoping for more QSOs, but I really had a
tough time getting any kind of sustained runs
going into Europe. Probably should have spent
more time CQing on Saturday morning, but the
QRM was so fierce, I spent quite a bit of time
doing S&P. Friday night was so-so into Asia,
but Saturday night made up for it with a
suprisingly good run of JA plus a fair number
UA0 zone 18 stations and BY's sprinkled in.
Later on as the pacific rim faded I was able to
work a handful of UA9's and UN7's in zone 17
before the band folded completely. Heard VK6ANC
on Friday night calling Europeans with a good
signal, but I couldn't get his attention. ASSumed
they would be a piece of cake on Saturday night
or via longpath on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
There would be no such luck for zone 29, however.
Never heard zone 22 or 34.

Thanks again to Keith for being such a great host,
and special thanks to Bud, W6VPH for introducing
me to Keith.