[3830] NA Sprint CW K6VVA LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dx35@hilding.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K6VVA LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:04:02 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VV
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 2.25hr

   80:  55    .75hr
   40:   0        0
   20:  25    1.5hr
---------------------
Total:  80     Mults = 25  Total Score = 2,000

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #2

Comments:

What an experience!

Drove 4 hours to Sonora, CA to help friends move all day.  Just about 0000Zulu
we took a break, so I quickly put my Sigma 5 Vertical Dipole on the rear of my
SUV and operated 19 minutes on 20m.  LOUD 5-land stations but was only getting
55w out of my TS-480S with the engine off (too much QRN with the engine on).

Came back on later as a demo to several folks and made some more Q's including
VP9 which was thrilling!  Kinda weird operating in the stand-up position outside
my SUV on the passenger side.

Some pix at:  http://www.k6vva.com/sprint05sonora/

Later everyone headed to party at a Pizza Parlor, but I drove down the road to
another home and threw up a low 80m Inverted Vee (Apex 27ft, one end at 8ft and
the other at 6ft off the ground).  It had just turned dark, and hooked up my
TS-480S and notebook computer on a table on the outside deck BY FLASHLIGHT.

Finally got on 80m for the last 45 minutes and the band was alive with LOUD
signals. Even got called by KL7WV!  Unfortunately, it was so dark and even
laying the small flashlight pointed toward the keyboard, I could not read the
key letters very well or the F-Keys ID strip scotched taped above the keys.  My
apologies to all for the QLF'd typing and resultant QLF CW (My key paddle was
still in the car).

When I finished working W6RGG, several folks called but my notebook computer
went dead (so much for battery life).  Ran back to the car by flashlight for the
A/C power adaptor.  I had tapped into an A/C outlet on the outside of the home.
Fired up the computer again, but the CW coming out was choppy (sorry, K6NR, for
all the problems).  Decided to power off & do a cold restart which fixed the
choppy keying.

Darn...just as I was starting to have things working better, the even ended
;-(
Listened to the 3830 crowd giving a lot of FB scores.  Some time later, I
remembered I had my mike in the SUV, so was able to have a nice rag chew with
N6RO & K7NV before disassembling everything BY FLASHLIGHT in the dark.

What an experience!!!