[3830] NA Sprint CW W6YX(N7MH) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W6YX(N7MH) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 03:50:59 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

   80:   66    0:54
   40:  117    1:22
   20:  124    1:44
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

I arrived at the station about 40 minutes before the contest started and
discovered that all the computers were Win2K so I couldn't run TR without
jumping through major hoops.  I've become more comfortable with WriteLog in some
of our multi-op efforts so I set it up with two different key definitions for
the CQ and S&P Exchange.  If you heard me stutter your call and send the first
few characters twice it's because I hit the wrong exchange key first (I must
have done this about 50 times).  There was a bit of interference from an
adjacent room where a couple club members were operating in the VHF contest.

I waited until 5 minutes before the contest start to turn on the amp.  I punched
the button on the Alpha-78 but nothing lit up.  Walking behind the console I saw
that both fuses had been pulled and the coax bypassed the amp.  I quickly
removed the amp and replaced it with the 78 from the second station, figuring
that was faster than booting the other computer, copying the WL config, and
adjusting it for a different keying setup, etc.  I finally got everything set up
and only missed the first 3 minutes.

20 meters was slow and steady.  Last Sprint I tried the strategy of equal time
per band, but I remembered someone saying that several new mults were worked
late on 20 so I stayed there longer.  It paid off with a few extra mults that I
might not have worked otherwise.  40 was great but I stayed a little long and
should have gone to 80 a few minutes earlier.  For a while I was moving up 80 in
sync with N6ZZ - every station I called ended up coming back to Phil.

I heard VE6 and KY (and maybe a VE2) that I didn't work.  Thanks for all the
Q's.

73,
-Mike, N7MH