[3830] BARTG Sprint KM4M(W3BP) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3bp@direcway.com
Subject: [3830] BARTG Sprint KM4M(W3BP) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:51:42 -0800
                    BARTG RTTY Sprint

Call: KM4M
Operator(s): W3BP
Station: W3BP

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

   80:    0   0
   40:   76   0
   20:  206   0
   15:   82   0
   10:    0   0
-----------------
Total:  364   0  Mults = 0  Total Score = 126,672

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had everything set up the evening before the contest. Got up, turned on
packet. The WWV numbers looked terrible. Listened to 20M and 40M - nothing heard
- guess band conditions as bad as the numbers indicated. Turned on the ACOM and
did a CQ before the contest on 14080 or so and noticed the ACOM was tuning to
the 14.1 - 14.2M segment. Strange. Went to 7080 and the ACOM was tuning to the
6.9 - 7.0 segment. Got no answers and heard no RTTY signals. For some reason, a
few minutes into the contest, I cycled the power to my Orion and started hearing
RTTY signals and the ACOM was tuning to the correct band segment. Who knows
where I was transmitting for the first minutes of the contest, but I got no
answers! The Orion seems to have away of producing these surprises, but this was
a first! I stayed on 15M and 20M until mid afternoon when the antennas iced up
and the SWR went bad. Decided to park the tower at 330 degrees before the ice
got too bad so that I could work some JAs later - a waste of time - none heard.
Went to 40M way too early due to the antenna icing. Then came winter lightning
here - QRT. Terrible weather and band conditions, but SV8CS had a hugh signal on
40M - nobody else did. I normally don't due comments but this one deserved
something - glad it's over.
Bruce W3BP