[3830] NAQP SSB NK7U M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB NK7U M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:15:55 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): NK7U, K7ZO, KW7J, W7ZRC, KL9A
Station: NK7U

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: OR

  160:   18     8
   80:  149    42
   40:  276    51
   20:  561    47
   15:   14     7
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1018   155  Total Score = 157,790

Club: Snake River Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Well that was one tough contest. 10 was flatline the whole contest and we did
keep checking it for some sign of life. 15 was not much better. We had KW7J open
on 15 like he did in the January version when he ripped off a 199 hour. This
time he worked a half dozen stations at the start with signals "20-30db below
the noise" and pushed back his chair and said "done". Over the next hour or so
we scrounged up a few more and then 15 was flatline the rest of the time. From
then on our second station started working 40 -- kind of an odd thing to do 6
hours before sunset in any contest except Field Day. But, what are you going to
do?

KL9A opened on 20M and got a respectable rate going. He turned the chair over
after a 103 first hour to drive home. (He had been at NK7U helping Joe put up
his JA echelon array -- more on this in a few months on www.nk7u.com ) From then
on we rotated through one hour shifts on 20 slowly building our score. But, as
hard as we try the rate kept dropping and dropping and dropping. During the
seventh hour we had a grand total of 42 QSOs and I was starting to think about
heading home as well. However as sunset approached 20 bounced back and during
the 0200 hour W7ZRC put 72Q's into the log. 40M and 80M started coming to life
and K7ZO and NK7U started working them through the S9+ noise and static crashes.
There was quite a line of thunderstorms about 100 miles to the SE of us -- right
in line with everyone we were trying to work. Our last 4 hours were 125, 144,
100, 75 to push us over the 1,000 Q mark. A level no one thought we would
achieve.

Compared to the January version this August event, like others have said, is
almost a different contest. In that one we have 2607 X 275 for a score of
716,925. We had 1,018 Q's in a bit over 3 hours in that contest. It took us a
hard 12 hours this time. We also had 1,258 Q's on 10 and 15 combined vs. 14 this
time. But, we still had fun. Had a great time with the usual NK7U regulars and
saying hi to many of our friends out there.

Until next time....

Scott/K7ZO

Visit us on the web at WWW.NK7U.COM