[3830] NA Sprint SSB VA7RR(@VE7SZ) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB VA7RR(@VE7SZ) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:31:51 -0800
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: VA7RR
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE7SZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC

---------------------

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

Many thanks to Allan, VE7SZ, who was in VE3 for the weekend, but made sure to
"leave a key under the mat" so that I could be on the air from his station.

     I did this one with a single radio and two band changes.  Went to 40 at
0155Z, and to 75 at 0310Z.

     This was my first SSB Sprint in about four years.  I thought that both 20
and 40 were good from here in VE7, but that 75 was not as robust as some of the
February Sprints in the past.  VE7SZ has a superior antenna on 75 (3 el at 140
feet), and it truly plays when the band is good.  It might have been worth
another 10 or 15 contacts on that band had things been better.

     Had a T/R relay hanging up intermittently throughout the 4 hours, and it
got kinda ugly in the last 10 minutes.  Not sure if it was in the radio, amp, or
two radio switch box, but there was no time to take a break to figure it out!  I
just had to deal with it.

     This was the very first SSB Sprint that I have done on computer.  The Phone
Sprint has always  been a "throwback" contest for me -  paper logging, dupe
sheets, one radio, and no Voice keyer. I finally put away the paper and pencil.
Used TRLog, and it performed flawlessly as usual.

     Thanks to all for the QSOs, and congrats to K9PG on the VFB Q total.

73,

Gary   VA7RR