[3830] ARRL 160 N7IR Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N7IR Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:36:31 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N7IR
Operator(s): N7IR
Station: N7IR

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: AZ

Total:  QSOs = 360  Sections = 65  Countries = 6  Total Score = 52,398

Club: Central AZ DX Assn

Comments:

A personal best effort in this contest and possibly a new SW division record.
This year I put up a K9AY receiving loop array feeding a 9th order elliptic high
pass filter into a highly linear MRF586 preamp (AM BCI prevention for 50kw KMIK
on 1580 kHz, about 8km away).  It worked well even though I hadn't finished the
switching installation until the night before the contest.

Conditions from Arizona were about equal both nights: highly variable.  The best
DX conditions to the Carribean were Saturday evening with FM5GU, ZF2NT, PJ2T,
and KV4FZ all putting in 59+ signals for a couple of hours.  The only one of
that group not worked was FM5GU since his pileup was uncrackable with QRP.
Surprise contact was with FS/W2JJ; weak and all alone calling CQ he came right
back to my answer!  Lesson: always try calling everyone at least once, you never
know if you can be heard if you don't try.  TI5A, T32WW and XE2AC rounded out
the DX contacts.  There wasn't room in the JA window to hear anyone but the
Texas and west coast big guns calling CQ, so no JA QSO's this year.  Although
JA7NI was peaking nicely at local sunrise on Saturday while working the BGs.

Sunday morning was spent pushing the F1 button and listening to static and key
clicks.  The pay-off was being called by N7IV in ND and VE6EX in AB for sections
64 and 65.  Those put me well over my previous best score.  Thanks to everyone
for the contacts and see you in the Stew Perry contest.

EQ: Elecraft K2; 22m top-loaded, shunt-fed vertical; K9AY RX loop array

73
Gary, N7IR
DM43bi