[3830] CQWW CW VY2ZM(N2NT) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2nt@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VY2ZM(N2NT) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:13:28 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): N2NT
Station: VY2ZM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R

  160:  275    17       54
   80: 1103    23       74
   40: 1492    27       84
   20: 1094    30       90
   15: 1258    24       92
   10: 1056    26       81
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

What a fun contest!
I went up to Jeff's station with one goal of breaking the NA record held by
8P9Z(K4BAI). I knew if I did, KP3Z would just break it more :) But still I was
happy to make the goal.

I didn't know what to expect from Canada, but I knew Jeff's station was loud,
especially on the low bands.
My plan was to work lots of multipliers. It worked out backwards. I was not
prepared for the rates in this contest, and as a result my mult strategy went
out the window. But it was great. I haven't felt that loud since operating at
NP4A in the early eighties! Plus we were so good on the low bands, I spent too
much time running there and as a result the mults suffered.
I learned alot and if I ever did it again, I would operate quite differently.
You can't use a NJ/USA strategy from there. It was a struggle to work SA and
Asia , so lots of mults were missed. Ah well....

OTOH, lots of 200 hours, and a peak of 230. Only thing is, lots of guys were
calling UY2ZM. It is not the easiest CW call to copy I suppose when sending
fast. Every time I called someone on the second radio, UY2ZM would be sent back.
It got frustrating. And most of the stations that usually QSY  that I asked to
move, flat out said no; even when I said "But it's me, your ole pal Andy" they
still said that's nice, but NO :)
When I hit the wall on Sunday, I could still run stations, but I couldn't
remember my callsign. I was thinking am I VY2 or YV2 or V47 ZM?
Then I would hit the F4 key so it would remind me!

A big thanks to Jeff K1ZM for spending the weekend up there with me. I felt bad
that he had to be there just to watch, but the house is too complicated to be
there alone. It is a beautiful QTH, and fun to operate from.
It is now fully functional SO2R and auto switched. Hopefully Jeff will trust it
now that I have broken it in!
Jeff kept feeding me, and that was the only reason I left had to leave the
chair. I warned him. :)

Congrats on all the big scores out there I have seen. Of course KP3Z and the
VP9I low power score stood out to me. It was also nice to hear my home signal
coming back to me (WW2Y@N2NT). My home 40mtr beam broke the day before the
contest in the high winds, so it hampered his effort a bit, but he was still
loud!
I can't imagine not doing this contest, it is the one required activity for me
of the year.

73, Andy N2NT