[3830] CQWW CW K4RO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K4RO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:17:32 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:   22     8       14
   80:  106    14       48
   40:  317    24       78
   20:  255    84       31
   15:  456    26       85
   10:  472    23       71
------------------------------

Battling the flu.  36 hours was all I was good for, unfortunately.
I missed some prime time EU run hours and the 40m JA opening as well.
The contest was a welcome relief from feeling totally miserable.

Since I wasn't going all out for score, I tried several experiments.
Some of them worked and some of them did not.  TR-Log ran OK under
Windows 98, but the CW was too sluggish and choppy, so I went back
to good old DOS, which I will continue to use for contesting.
Tried swapping out several monitors trying to quell the incredible
hash noise and birdies.  Kept coming back to the Envision 17", but
I still have some changes to make with my RX ant switch routing.

Conditions were very FB from here, as were the operators.  The only
real frustrating moment was when I finally broke through the TO4E
pileup the first night.  No call had been sent for over 5 minutes,
and I finally got tired of waiting and dumped my call in the mess
without knowing who I was calling.  I got a K4RO 5NN 39 right back,
and I asked for the call sign.  After sending 5NN 39 to me over FIVE
times after I sent CALL?, I finally got a callsign from the op.  I'm
sure the whole pileup was ready to choke me at that point.  Sorry folks,
but some of us actually have to copy the call sign to make a QSO.

The station held up a lot better than the operator did. Lots of
work on the tower and ground system the week before seemed to help
a lot with SO2R interference issues.  My bandswitch repair on the
AL-1200 held up on  all bands at power, which was a real relief to see.
So far it's the only repair I've had to make on the ancient beast.
The new two-element 40m wire yagi to EU seemed to work well, but it
was hard to judge with 40m conditions so outstanding.  I may have to
make it into a bi-directional 3-L for next year.  The CQWW is THE
Contest of Contests, bar none.  Glad I got to play in this one.
Congratulations to W4PA on another outstanding 48-hour effort.

73

-Kirk  K4RO