[3830] SS SSB K1EP(@K1VR) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1ep@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K1EP(@K1VR) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:31:20 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K1EP
Operator(s): K1EP
Station: K1VR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EMA

   10:    2

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My original plan was to start this contest on 10.  A lot of precontest
fixing of problems prevented me from finding a spot and getting a feel
for the band.  I had about 10 minutes before the contest to find a
good run frequency.  When I went to 10, I found that it was completely
dead, so I went down to 15, which wasn't that much better.  I really
didn't want to start any lower, as it is tough for an East coast low
power station to carve a hole on those bands at the start of the
contest.  At least that is my impression, but I ended up S&P on 20 to
start.  The initial going was tough.  I went back to 15M as I figured
I might pick up some mults before it really closed down for good.  I
tried a few times to get a run going with little success.  In the
past, 15 has been a good running band for me.

After starting out so slowly, I thought maybe I could catch up with
some good runs.  By the time I gave up Saturday night, my mult total
was only in the low 50's, when it normally would be close to a sweep.
I was missing most of the west and  northwest as well as many in the
northeast. I didn't even work my first WMA until Sunday morning, and
K5ZD is about as far East as a WMA station can get.

I am sure most everyone who operated knows how difficult conditions
were this contest.  People talked about how bad 10 was, but I think that it was
open at times, it was just that no one was there.  I heard a couple of SO2R
stations CQ'ing on 10, while probably working or CQ'ing somewhere else also.
The two stations I worked on 10, one was from STX and the other was a local EMA.

I was also surprised to hear a number of people tell me, especially later in the
contest, that I was their first EMA station.  I never thought that EMA was that
rare.  For me, Illinois once again takes the most popular worked section.

Thanks again to Fred, K1VR, for the use of his station.