[3830] CQ/RJ WW RTTY KI5XP(@W5WMU) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cfmorris@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQ/RJ WW RTTY KI5XP(@W5WMU) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:43:28 -0700
                    CQ/RJ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: KI5XP
Operator(s): KI5XP
Station: W5WMU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Louisiana
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   80:   89   102       39       5     7
   40:  281   526       52      49    21
   20:  408   751       54      61    27
   15:  627  1501       52      76    29
   10:  175   443       20      54    18
Total: 1580  3323      217     245   102  Total Score = 1,874,172

Club: Cajun Contest Club

Comments:

Lots of highlights, lots of lowlights.  First, I think i ticked off at least one
operator of every other digital mode at least once.  I got chewed by the
PSK'ers, an argument with someone in New York about where MFSK should and
shouldnt be, packet operators and a CW operator.  Guess thats contesting.  Maybe
20 meters should be known as the special interests group band and to hell with
anyone that wants to use it for whatever reason they want to use it for, because
someone else thinks its theirs.

That being said.  Seems that I wasnt the only one with problems with RFI.
Reading Larry's post on the reflector makes me thank my stars that I work SO2R
with 2 computers (thanks for the suggestion Don, it saved me).  For some reason
this contest is the first time in a year that my homebuilt PC decided to exhibit
RF interference.  Was especially bad on 80 and 20 for some reason.  First the
mouse would move all over the place but got rid of the Microsoft one for a
Logitech.  Thought I was smoothe sailing until spontaneously it rebooted.  At
that point I froze (what must have happened to poor Larry) and it came back up
(For anyone debating whether or not to use Windows XP/2000/NT and NTFS vs.
95/98/ME and Fat16 or Fat32, try "no scandisk on restart" as a good
reason)immediately, but of course the Writelog database was hosed and was
reverting back to the adi backup file.  Well, i panicked and couldnt figure out
yes or no if i wanted to restore.. i did and lost about the last 10 q's somehow.
 Fortunately a simple restore of the connection to the other computer synch'ed
the logs and all was normal.  This reboot, restore cycle basically continued
throughout the entire weekend and i learned to live with it sometime Saturday
morning as it was apparently not going to stop.

No other problems, so highlites.  Working BD5RI in the last minutes.  I actually
saw the call come across the screen and had to look several times (bad rtty.dta
and couldnt get internet at the contest station to update it, didnt find out
till Sunday night!!) because it didnt highlight, but came to the conclusion it
wasnt static and bad MMTTY.  Working Jordan was excellent, as was Nigeria
(several others that I hope will use LOTW or Buro QSL's for DXCC).  Several all
banders, thanks for moving (tried KA4RRU on 10 at the last minute, but couldnt
hear).  Congrats to W2UP and W1ZT, who even had time to chat with me for a bit
when things had slowed and he still whooped me.  Gotta prepare next year by
sleeping all Friday or something.. works going to have to wait for contests.

Thanks to all who worked me, and thanks to the guys who present the contest and
tally the scores.. we wouldnt be here without yall.

Charlie
KI5XP