[3830] WAE SSB ES5TV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tonno@lhv.ee
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB ES5TV Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:46:26 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: ES5TV
Operator(s): ES5TV
Station: ES5TV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Jogeva
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   80:   85         148
   40:  331         231
   20:  626         168
   15:  351         166
   10:   13          16
-------------------------
Total: 1393  1091   729  Total Score = 1,810,836

Club: Tartu Contest Team

Comments:

1st time in WAE. QTC thing is difficult to get used to which can be seen in my
QTC count as well:) Found it unpleasant and strange to being forced to ask every
station for QTCs but I guess there is no other way.

I nearly quit the contest after 4-5 hours as my TR conf was not working, SO2R
antenna switching was not working well as I had no time to prepare well before
the start. My 2nd radio had just 100w. 1st had ACOM 2000A. Both Radios
FT1000MP.
I had much less QSOs after 5 hours than other big guns and no QTCs at all:)

Then decided to go to sleep and slept for 8-9 hours and got back to do some
antenna testing and pilups but things got so hot that plunged back into the game
and did not stop till forced a few hours before the end.

I did not hope my score would be much competitive due to QTC disaster but seems
that putting a lot of effort into low band mults still payed off looking at S53M
and LY2IJ postings, I am amazed!

Condx were great as no aurora (what happened??:) and 40 and 20 were very
fruitful. I was truely amazed to see so many 6 digit US calls on 20m with 001
serials. Never in large contests I have heard so many. Very interesting!

I guess I missed some easy stuff on 10m the first day as no SA was heard at all
in the second day. 10m QSOs were: ZY2A, PX2W, LR1F, ZX2B, PX2A, LO7H, PY2LTY,
UN6G, P29TL, 3XY1L, EM1U, TU2CI and D2BB. Heard a few more CQs but they did not
react:)

For SO2R Audio switching I was using SCKII by ZS4TX. A great new product that
besides all SO2R switching has SSB and CW keyers in it. SSB messages can be run
under TR from Keyboard the same way as CW messages. I have been dreaming about
this for years. I did not manage to set the TR conf file up the yet this time to
use all the bells and whistles...

73
Tonno
ES5TV