[3830] ARRL June VHF W5NGX(W5KFT) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5kft@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W5NGX(W5KFT) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:23:32 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: W5NGX
Operator(s): W5KFT
Station: W5NGX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: DM-72
Operating Time (hrs): 5 hour

    6:  283   126
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  283   126  Total Score = 35,658

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

June VHF contests are usually done from the contest station at the ranch.
Stacked yagi's, multi-ops, high power, computer logging, etc etc for a contest
station.

This year work and job conflict didn't allow me to make the trip to the contest
station.  About 4 pm on Sat when I finished at work, I thought about the contest
going on and I was ready to operate but no place to go.  Ken WM5R had placed an
email on the CTDXCC reflector earlier in the week about the ease of getting on
6m for the contest and I took his suggestion.  In about 10 minutes I had built a
6m dipole and it took about another 10 minutes to hang it about 10 feet off the
ground from one end of the porch to a tree in the sideyard.  Hooked it up to the
IC-746 and I was ready to go, complete with handmike and paper log.  As soon as
I turned the rig on, it was gangbusters for the next five hours.  I would never
have dreamed that I could establish and hold a run frequency and run stations at
over 100 per hour with about as basic a station as you can put together.  The
weekend was a blast.  Thanks guys for all the contacts and all the fun.
Thanks
Ken WM5R for bringing basics back into perspective,,,,contesting is just plain
fun.

Bryan W5KFT