[3830] WPX SSB P40A(KK9A) SO(TS)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, p40a@iguanavilla.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB P40A(KK9A) SO(TS)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 06:54:58 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SO(TS)AB LP
QTH: Aruba

   20: 1941
   15: 1306
   10: 1546

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This was my second L.P. WPX effort from Aruba and this time I had a real tower
to work with.  I am located near the water on the N.W. tip of Aruba and I have a
very clean shot to the U.S. and Europe.    Conditions during the preceding week
were poor so I never expected the explosive start that I had.  This was a
contest that I?ll never forget.  Somehow by Friday evening I was hundreds of
QSO?s ahead of all of the H.P. stations that I heard, with the exception of D4B
who was already a hundred ahead of me.  Even more strange was that I received
many reports my signal was very weak, yet the pileups continued.   During the
nights 15 opened occasionally and 20 was in decent shape. With 100 watts to
dipoles on the low bands I chose to stay on the higher rate upper bands.   With
such a great start I was too excited  to sleep early Saturday morning and didn?t
take as much off time as I had planned.   There really was no morning Europe
opening for me on Saturday so I kept the beam pointing NW and continued to log
North American stations.  Finally late on Saturday I found a good European
opening on 20m and luckily also a quiet frequency so I quickly filled my log
with many new multipliers.   Sunday my rates slowed up a lot and I didn?t seem
to have a real presence in Europe.  I continued to work mostly N.A. and listened
on the second VFO for multipliers.   I tried hard to break the 1000 prefix mark,
but fell short.  There is a lot of strategy in this contest and I think I got
pretty lucky with my choices.  I came close to a ten year old low power record
which I may have beat had I spent a little more time on 40m and taken a little
more off time Saturday morning.   Conditions to North America were pretty good
and accounted for about 85% of my QSO?s.   AI6V / P40V permanently left the
island and I?ll miss his participation.  Fortunately he shared a few WPX tips
with me.  After the contest I enjoyed a waterfront dinner with P40Y / AE6Y and
P41P / P43P.  I like to thank everyone for the QSO?s.  Photo QSL cards are
available via WD9DZV.

73,
John  KK9A / P40A
p40a@iguanavilla.com