[3830] CQ160 CW AA1K Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jon.zaimes@dol.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AA1K Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:48:24 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AA1K
Operator(s): AA1K
Station: AA1K

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Delaware
Operating Time (hrs): 29:55

Total:  QSOs = 1272  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 60  Total Score = 547,046

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Congrats to W4AN and W8JI!

Some fantastic conditions to Europe both nights. They seemed to come in waves.
The first night we could hear weak European signals on and around our frequency
almost from the opening bell -- they all were working each other, while we had a
good run of North American stations (129 first hour, 119 second hour). At 0225z
I heard 4X3WN, louder than any Europeans, call someone just off my frequency,
but I couldn't get his attention. DJ2YA was the first Eu in the log, at 0234z,
followed quickly by P3F -- who was very loud. Then a lull until OM7M, S57M and
DJ4AX called in in quick succession at 0307z. LZ2DF, who had been CQing just
below my frequency for quite a while, finally pulled me out at 0354z. The band
took another dip til 0K2WM popped in at 0425z followed by DJ0MDR, RN6BN, Z32AU,
F5LQ, CT1FJK, F5NV, OM3IAG, G4OBK, G0CKP, YT0A and OK1RF spread out over the
next 35 minutes.

The band took another dive, with no DX in the log from 0500z till HG3DX at
0541z, then a 10-minute gap until S59ABC at 0551z, which was when the floodgates
opened. We had a 100+ hour at 0600z, mostly Europeans. A dozen or so others
called in after 0700z, and EI6BT closed the band at 0810z. PR0F had called in at
0702z.

A YV, PJ2, KP4 and a couple of KH6 stations broke up the doldrums of the next
few hours. We heard stations next to us working KL7J and ZL6QH but never heard
either all weekend. Wyoming gave us our last of the 48 states, but no sign of DC
all weekend.

The fireworks started earlier the second night, with many small waves, with
PA3KT, CT3 and D4 in the 22z hour, four Europeans in the 23z hour, 14 in the 00z
hour, 11 at 01z, 7 at 02z (when I heard EY8MM for half an hour but couldn't
raise him!), 34 at 03z (with 4L2M and 4X3A calling in back to back at 0351z,
with both much louder than any of the Europeans), 12 at 04z, 21 at 05z, and 24
from 0600-0630z, when the band seemed to fold. Only three other Europeans
squeaked through from 0630-0746z. A YV and a PY also made it in the log in this
period. More doldrums for the next few hours, a few Western US/Canada stations
but no Pacific DX until two VKs worked at 1200z, 15 minutes before sunrise
here.

Only one European worked in the last 2.5 hours of the contest Sunday night,
ON6AA. Heard many others but almost all were dupes.

Missed VO2, VE4, VE5, VY1, VY0, VE8 -- and D.C. Maybe I'll take the mobile rig
down to the capital next year!

Noise first night was nonexistent, and only very low-level QRN the second night
for a few short periods.

 2 point QSOs: 963
 5 point QSOs: 60
10 point QSOs: 249

Breakdown (NA stopped counting at 1600z Sunday!)
UTC   160  rate total
---------------------
22Z     0     0     0
23Z     0     0     0
00Z   129   129   129
01Z   119   119   248
02Z    96    96   344
03Z    64    64   408
04Z    88    88   496
05Z    58    58   554
06Z   101   101   655
07Z    64    64   719
08Z    43    43   762
09Z    25    25   787
10Z    25    25   812
11Z    16    16   828
12Z    14    14   842
13Z     0     0   842
14Z     0     0   842
15Z     0     0   842
16Z     0     0   842
17Z     0     0   842
18Z     0     0   842
19Z     0     0   842
20Z     0     0   842
21Z     1     1   843
22Z    16    16   859
23Z    15    15   874
00Z    31    31   905
01Z    32    32   937
02Z    24    24   961
03Z    56    56  1017
04Z    34    34  1051
05Z    33    33  1084
06Z    45    45  1129
07Z    15    15  1144
08Z    14    14  1158
09Z    11    11  1169
10Z    15    15  1184
11Z    16    16  1200
12Z    19    19  1219
13Z     0     0  1219
14Z     0     0  1219
15Z     0     0  1219

N America:      970      970 (79%)
             (100%)

S America:        7        7 (0%)
             (100%)

   Europe:      231      231 (18%)
             (100%)

   Africa:        3        3 (0%)
             (100%)

     Asia:        3        3 (0%)
             (100%)

  Oceania:        5        5 (0%)
             (100%)

Mult           QSOs

CT             22
MA             32
ME             5
NH             18
RI             6
VT             9
NJ             45
NY             50
DC             --
DE             4
MD             27
PA             60
AL             16
FL             39
GA             22
KY             11
NC             38
SC             13
TN             38
VA             45
AR             8
LA             8
MS             9
NM             11
OK             10
TX             47
CA             53
AZ             13
ID             4
MT             2
NV             3
OR             7
UT             8
WA             24
WY             2
MI             37
OH             59
WV             15
IL             52
IN             27
WI             28
CO             15
IA             7
KS             4
MN             25
MO             14
NE             2
ND             2
SD             2
NS             3
QC             7
ON             30
MB             --
SK             --
AB             1
BC             3
NWT            --
NB             3
YT             --
PEI            1
NF             2
LB             --
4L             1
4X             1
5B             1
9A             8
CM             1
CT             1
CT3            1
D4             1
DL             38
EA             8
EA6            1
EA8            1
EI             2
ES             3
F              5
FM             2
FY             1
G              24
GI             1
GM             1
GU             1
GW             1
HA             8
HB             5
I              9
IT9            1
KH6            2
KP2            1
KP4            1
LA             1
LX             2
LY             6
LZ             2
OE             2
OH             3
OK             32
OM             6
ON             5
OZ             1
PA             8
PJ2            1
PY             2
PY0F           1
S5             18
SM             1
SP             8
SV             1
TI             1
TZ             1
UA             5
UA2            3
UR             3
V3             2
VK             2
XE             3
YL             3
YO             1
YU             11
YV             2
Z3             1
ZF             1

The gear:

FT1000MP with Inrad 250 hz pair and 400hz pair filters, TS940S spotting RX,
4-1000 amp 1.5 KW, MFJ 1025 phasing box.

RX antennas: 14 Beverage antennas, lengths from 450 to 935 feet, some are phased
pairs.

TX antennas: 100-ft Rohn 25 tower with a 6-meter beam for top loading; series
fed; wire t-shaped parasitic elements to NE/SW make this a 3-el array. Hundreds
of radials on the ground.