[3830] RTTY Roundup KI5XP(@W5WMU) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cfmorris@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup KI5XP(@W5WMU) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 19:43:14 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: KI5XP
Operator(s): KI5XP, WA5CHX, N5RLM, KA5BSE, W5WMU
Station: W5WMU

Class: M/S HP
QTH: LA

Total: 1149  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 64  Total Score = 139,029

Club: CAJUN CONTEST CLUB

Comments:

What a great contest!  Second Multi effort from W5WMU in RTTY in quite some time
for me and the second time ever for the rest of the ops.  We have some big shoes
to fill following WU3V's many wins from there in CQWW and WPX tests.

This time we finally got the software working ahead of time, and started the
contest at 1200.  Used Writelog 10.38D and MMTTY 1.62, luckily reading the
Writelog reflector, I didnt rush into upgrading for those very reasons, too many
unknowns prior to such a big contest.

I've worked RTTY contests on and off for quite a few years now, most of the time
learning from Jim and the gang at W5WMU.  Roland WA5CHX, Rick N5RLM, and John
KA5BSE were making their second trips out to "The Camp" and seem to have caught
the contest bug as well.  We fed Rick some raw meat and he got viscious after
that, racking up q after q.

Nothing notable to report, thought we'd lost a 1000D, but turns out even though
its wired for FSK, the MIC gain DOES affect the output.  No blown amplifiers
this time, and our signal seemed great on all bands, including from a dangling
40M 3 element monobander that was torn up following Hurricane Lili.  We missed
some of Canada and DE (of course).  Finally found NV towards the end.

Station:  2 Yaesu FT-1000D's
Antennas:  several stacked monobanders from 40 Feet through 190 Feet pointing
NW, NE, North, and SW, on 10, 15, and 20.  2 El NW Mono on 40, and 3 El NE Mono
on 40, NE 3 el phased array on 80, and what used to be a NW array, which is now
a verticle on 80 following the hurricane.
Ops:  KI5XP Charlie, WA5CHX Roland, N5RLM Rick, KA5BSE John, and W5WMU Pat.

Thanks to Pat W5WMU for the use of his great station, and the constant supply of
drinks and food.  Thanks to everyone who worked us, and we'll see all of yall in
the next one.

Charlie