[3830] TBDC PA0JED Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC PA0JED Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 00:36:37 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: PA0JED
Operator(s): PA0JED
Station: PA0JED

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: JO31

Total:  QSOs = 61  Total Score = 242

HNY to all.

Spend whole Saturday installing a L antenne for this contest 40mtrs wire with 10
radials, tuning was difficult, later it appeared that the 40 mtrs was only 35
mtrs.
Had bought it as 40 mtrs in the local shop, not only the prices are going up
also the meters are going down.

At some time I got good working values abt 38 ohms and abt 1.8 SWR.
But then Murphy made a final hit at this last contest.
With all the Plug & Pray, I connected the wrong antennas, 1st the 144 MHz yagi i
did try to tune, 2nd I tuned the normal working antenna 2x6 mtrs vertical dipole
with open feeders and worked the contest with this one.
Instead of the L antenna, it only showed up when it got light agn, I connected
the wrong coax at the junction box.
Yes, hrd it mni times ALWAYS label coax-es.
Excuses (as always): twas cold, twas raining, etc.
But anyhow , made the following results:

61 QSO's with RA1ACJ as DX KO59/1745 km 2nd DX 7S2E KP04/1660km
60 QSO points with 80 watts

makes a total of abt 242 points.

Next yr all will be better.

Learned: a lot of goods for the upcoming PACC contest, where I will install a L
antenna, with proper length and a Vacuum C, spend some time installing the C in
a box and playing with it on the 35 mtrs of wire.

73   jan, pa0jed

htpp://www.qsl.net/pa0jed