[3830] MiQP VE7FO Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] MiQP VE7FO Single Op HP
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (jimsmith@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:40:36 -0700
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC

   80:
   40:   13      0
   20:   25     16
--------------------
Total:   38     16  CW Mults = 25  Ph Mults = 12  Total Score = 3,404

I want to introduce some new hams to the wacky world of contesting.  I'm
thinking that some of the state QSO Parties would be a good vehicle.  To find
out, I entered the MiQP.  Started at 1800Z.  Well, conditions were dreadful.
Didn't make a single Q on 10 or 15.  Hardly any Mi heard on 20 for the first 5
hours.  Things picked up a little after that.  Was going to go LP but, with
conditions so poor, cranked the knob on the MkV up to 200W.  My best hour (10
Qs) was the last one when 40 finally sort of opened up to Mi.  Well, glad I
wasn't trying to elmer anyone today.  5 Qs/hr isn't going to get a newbie's
pulse racing.  It was fun, though, trying to work the mobiles as they moved from
county to county.  My best one was WT9U/M for 6 Qs, 3 of them in a row.

I think that with better conditions there would have been enough activity to
keep a newbie interested even if we can't reach the crowd on 40 until late in
the day, so I'm putting this one on my list.

73 and thanks for the Qs, some of them very difficult.

de Jim Smith    VE7FO