[3830] ARRL160 W6XR SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL160 W6XR SO HP
From: natan@twcny.rr.com (natan@twcny.rr.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:00:03 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W6XR
Operator(s): W6XR
Station: W6XR

Class: SO HP
QTH: WNY

Total:     875     72       12      =  150,276

Club/Team: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I decided to do this one at the last minute as my committments for the weekend
vanished leaving me with some free time.  This was the first time I've had the
pleasure of a semi serious effort for any 160 contest as I was never happy with
the antennas in place.  140 + 1/4 wave radials were added under my F12 EF160VX
last Spring, so  I wanted to try out the new system in competition.

Started out the contest an hour early and found no activity and no answers to
my Cq's.  Since I was making no contacts I went to the Arrl web site and read
the start times and decided to wait until the contest really began.  This time,
I did find activity and was happy with a 112 hour and some very early left
coast QSO's.  Was delighted to get a few European calls but really heard few
European stations in the contest.  After the contest, I went to the DX Summit
site to see if I was posted in Europe on the cluster and found the comment that
I was loud but "deaf!"  Sometimes, you just can't win!  My thanks to those
whose signals were able to overcome my auditory shortcomings.

Went to bed around 3:00 AM as I was tired and was getting told by my little
mini Dachschund that it was really time to go outside for a walk before we
retired.  The band was good for the USA, but conditions to Europe were poor.
The ZF2 beacon stations were very loud as was VP5DX all night long.  CO9JY came
back to a CQ and Alex at V47KP managed to get in my log along with PY0FF.

Sunday started for me around 4:00 PM and it was apparent the band was not in
great shape.  Around 2300 I had A G3 call in so I had hope, but all the hope
disappeared with a loud report from Mr. Alphy who decided right there and then
it wanted to visit Mother Alpha in Colorado for repair.  The PIN diodes went
again on the 86 leaving me with no amplifier from 8:00 PM on.  Doing this
contest without and amplifier is something I don't want to do again.  Stayed up
to about 2:00 AM knowing well I would miss the VK and ZL openings but the
contest had become rather burdensome for many reasons.

A big thanks to all who worked me.  The IRC 250 cycle filters in the Mark V
really were great and I'm finally happy with my 160 antenna setup.

Regards,

Natan

W6XR is:

Yaesu FT1000 Mark V, Alpha 86 (sk) and a 1/4 wave monopole with lots of radials
underneath.  Receiving antennas are Ewes named Rachel and Sarah.