[3830] ARRL160 W9RE SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL160 W9RE SO HP
From: w9re@arrl.net (w9re@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:35:20 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W9RE
Operator(s): W9RE
Station: W9RE

Class: SO HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 2 Much
Radios: SO2R

Total:    1200     77       11      =  214,368

Club/Team: SMC

Comments:

Never planned on operating this contest that much, let alone putting in a full
effort.  I made no plans for food, drinks, etc., and my xyl has said if you're
single operator doesn't that extend to food prep during the contest also!  She
did fix me dinner though afterall.  I had planned on operating just to try out
getting familiar with using 'TR' as I had never used it before.  N9RV had used
it in CQWW very successfully, especially in the SO2R mode and only cursed on
rare instances.  So I started the contest and was having fun averaging 100/hr
for the first 5 or 6 hours nd that rush lulled me in to forgetting about the 10
and less q's/hour at 1000z that are almost too much to handle.  Talk about SS
on the 2nd day this one is far worse.  I have to put a full effort in this one,
every 4 or 5 years to remind me not to opeate full bore in the in between
years!

I have several beverages and a penant antenna but also had very bad line noise
from the start.  I had to select a receive antenna for minimum noise, not for
station directivity.  No matter what I do here, I just can't hear very
well(N9RV will verify that it isn't totally me).

DX worked:CO, PY, PY0, XE, VP5, ZF, OK, P4, V47, G, and YV.  All but CO and OK
called me.  ESP on VK6HD but no real copy.

Thanks to all the operators that stayed with me to help pull you out of my
noise.   My apologies to the stations that I just couldn't pull out.  Let me
know if I seemed really deaf compared to K9DX, WB9Z, etc.

Thanks to all that called.

Congratulations to Bill at W8JI and John, K9DX, WB9Z (multi) for great scores,
so far!