[3830] NAQP CW SO - AD5Q

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW SO - AD5Q
From: ids@nol.net (R.S.Hradilek)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 23:33:06 -0500
      Hours of Operation: 10:00

     band      QSOs      points    mults

     160         43          43      19
      80         79          79      33
      40        194         194      42
      20        230         230      46
      15        125         125      41
      10         51          51      24

     TOTAL      722         722     205      SCORE: 148,010

     Team Name: Texas DX Society

     Comments:

I thought the bands were in good shape for August, especially 160.
Propagation on 10 covered much of the country, but not the
northeast coast. Actually W1's and W2's were not very abundant
on any band (and there are far too many of them in DX contests).

M0SDX sounded really serious about our stateside contest. I was
especially surprised when he called in on 80. Missed him on 160
though.

I wish I had spent more time on 15 and 80, but there are always
tradeoffs. Concentrated on 10 early because that is where I have
my only monobander (fixed NE). On the other bands, did most of
my running with the low tribander because it is fixed on the east
coast. The high one was usually on the west coast, and even when
it was NE and running it didn't make much difference in the rate.
Low is fine in this contest.

I am satisfied with the results. To take it to the next level I need to
learn to move more mults - and not get so easily discouraged with
the no-shows. I need to listen to WE9V. Nearly every time I tuned
accross them they were trying to move somebody - not only for
new mults either: just for any new contact. Does this work?

Setup:

SO2R with WX0B's new SO2R Master. Six Pack on tower.
FT-900 and FT-890
C4XL @ 104 ft - rotateable, but with 3:1 SWR on 10M
KT34XA @ 50 ft - fixed NE
Wide spaced homebrew 5 el 10M @ 70 ft - fixed NE
80M 4 element sloper
160M elevated wire vertical with 4 1/8 wave radials
pair of 2-wire 580 ft bev's in forest - switchable in 4 directions
NA Software: bug free operation (important to a few of us)

de Roy (aka Quack) -- AD5Q