[3830] ARRL SS SSB K6LA SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB K6LA SO LP
From: kwidelitz@gtemail.net (kwidelitz@gtemail.net)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:24:07 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes - SSB

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: SO LP
Section: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:     67
   40:    104
   20:    238
   15:    683
   10:    293
-------------------------------
Total:   1385 x     80  =  221,600

Club: sccc

Comments:

I?ve warmed up on 28362. I?m in the clear. I?m in QSO with VE6SUM and I know
there are a bunch of guys on frequency in waiting. The clock hits 21:00:00. At
21:00:18 # 1 is in the log and ...

THE POWER GOES OUT!!!

Not just my house, not just my block, but the whole neighborhood is out
including traffic lights. Murphy is smirking in the background. Ten minutes
later I head over to the park to watch my daughter?s soccer game, cell phone in
pocket, having given instructions to my son to call me as soon as the power
comes on. I get to the field, get out of my car and the phone rings. I?m back
in the chair, computer and rigs at the ready at 21:22:30. I decide to wait
eight more minutes so as to make it into an off-time.

That power outage, or even perhaps the eight minute off-time decision cost me
at least two spots in the Top Ten Box standings based on the early 3830
results. Its fair to say that ½ hour was worth at least an additional 30 QSOs,
since my average rate the first 4 hours was well over 100 and my rate around my
offtime was well under 50.

I?ve always been told conventional wisdom for Phone SS from the West Coast is
to take all six hours at once. About 90 minutes after quitting for the night, I
still hadn?t fallen asleep, so I came in the shack and go back on. Boy am I
glad I did. I found VY1AC on 40 and got him with one call. That left me only
needing WTX and NL which made for an easy sweep.