[3830] ARRL SS SSB K6LL SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB K6LL SO HP
From: K6LL@juno.com (K6LL@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:23:52 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes - SSB

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SO HP
Section: AZ

  160:
   80:     21
   40:    331
   20:    550
   15:    392
   10:    820
-------------------------------
Total:   2114 x     80  =  338,240

Club: SCCC

Comments:

Not set up for SO2R on SSB here, but probably could have
benefitted from its use in this one. Some of the high
scores are grouped pretty closely.

A couple of days before the contest, the feedback pot in the
rotator failed, so I had to rig up a mirror to see which way
the antenna was pointing. I also had to shine a spotlight on the
antenna so I could see it in the mirror at night. I'm sure the
neighbors thought I had gone even farther off the deep end.

Naturally, just before the contest, rf in the transmitted audio
showed up. Coiling up some wires and changing some ground leads
solved that.

Two hours before the contest, the amplifier went goofy on 20 meters,
and I had to hot-wire around the input network, running it untuned
on 20.

Once the contest started everything worked fine. I'm not
really happy with the quality of the Kenwood DRU-2 Voicekeyer
though. I think I'll try to get something going with the
computer sound card.

Unlike previous years, there was not an endless supply of stations
to work on 10 meters. I guess license restructuring has moved many
of these folks onto the other bands.

Thanks for the qso's, and see you all in the 10 meter contest. Happy
Thanksgiving.

Dave, K6LL