[3830] K4AO SO HP KY

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4AO SO HP KY
From: Ron Simonton" <simonton@commandnet.net (Ron Simonton)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 17:55:52 -0600

                            SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET

         Callsign Used : K4AO
         Operator : K4AO

         Category : SOHP KENTUCKY

 Default Exchange : B 58 KY

        Team/Club : TCG

   80CW       59          59        118       0   K4AO vert array
   40CW      623         619       1238      32   K4AO vert arrays
   20CW      350         350        700      43   wire arrays
   15CW       43          43         86       1    "     "
   10CW        8           8         16       0    "     "

 Totals     1083        1079       2158      76

    Final Score = 164008 points.

Equipment:  FT-1000MP - Alpha 91b

Spent more time on 20m than normal checking out new wires.  Still need to
get some decent wires going for 10 & 15...esp. 10m.  40m rectangle loop
arrays played well.  Perhaps too well since I hard a hard time
finding fresh meat on 80m.

I guess I was always on the wrong band for YU...heard a MAR station
S&P on 15, but never could entice him to respond to my CQ!  Wasted
20 minutes calling VO1 with the wrong antenna switched in...finally woke
up and got him on the next call with the right antenna.  Missed the VI
exercise on 15, but the descriptions of that give the impression that it
would have added to my frustration livel.

Sent a bunch of QRJs this year to stations that probably would have been
logged in prior years.  (Too many busted calls from trying to copy ESP
strength sigs last year!)  Found getting fills on the exchanges to be
about as pleasant as tooth extraction without novacane.  The only
question that seemed to produce a response most of the time was NR?

No major visits from Mr. Murphy other than the audio switching on my
2nd radio died at the start.  Alpha 91b has done well in 1999 after a
terrible beginning in 1998. After two trips to CO in 1998, it has
performed without problems in a lot of contest hours this year.  I have
really appreciating having an amp that is pretty much idiot proof esp.
when switching 1+ kw into the wrong antenna!

FCC assigned K4AO a few days before SS, hearing K4AO so many times in
the monitor was a good exercise in erasing K1AO from my brain. I also
had a couple of Zombie mode reactions to some turkey calling K4AO on
my QRG! :-)

73 Ron, K4AO (x K1AO)