[3830] W7GG NAQP SSB SCORE & STORY

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W7GG NAQP SSB SCORE & STORY
From: ai7b@teleport.com (Bob Wruble)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 22:29:54 -0700
            August 1998 NAQP SSB W7GG Claimed Score

   Call:  W7GG  SO/AB
   Exchange:  Bob, OR
   Hrs Opr: 10

   Qso's = 885
   Mults = 157
   DX Mults = 6

   Score = 162,511
   Story:  Was pumped for this one cuz 10M openings were starting to
   happen here in the NW.  Went over to radio Qth Friday afternoon to
   get things ready.  Always a lot of prep work to do especially when
   your shack is remote from your regular Qth.  Mine is half way across
   the state, approx 150 miles East.

   Got everything setup, however my main PC was acting up for some
reason.
   Was further encouraged by lots of sigs on 10 and 15M after dark!
   Went to work on the PC problem but got no where......it would not
even
   recognize A or C drive...bummer.  Finally put PC 2 on line only to
   find that it was having what appeared to be video problems resulting
   in a scrambled image on screen.  Now I'm starting to panic.  Went
   to bed around midnite with no working PC.  No more hand logging for
   this guy.

   Decided to take both machines into Madras Sat AM (small town) about
   30 mile but two PC shops!  Nice but one had  gone outa biz and the
   other was closed on Saturdays...strange way to run a comsumer
oriented
   biz if you ask me.

   Its now 9:30AM and no PC so start driving to next town 30 miles away.
   Got on the Cell fone trying to find someone open there...no luck so
   said to hell with it and headed back to the shack.  Got there at
   10:50AM....ten minutes to start time!  Decided to try the PC's again.
   Wound up swapping A drives and when I turned number 2 PC on it came
   up with good video.   Since I had everything else ready all I had to
   do was setup my TR Logcfg.dat file and go to work at 18:45 GMT......
   45 minutes late but still time to op full ten hours!

   Strated on 15M with run radio and scanned 10M with radio 2 but no
   sigs.....fooey.  Put radio 2 on 20M and found plenty sigs there.
   Back to 10 often but only wked about 9 stations....WC4E had a huge
   signal....only hope I was as loud somewhere as he was....only problem
   was that he was running stations!  Can only imagine what some of
   the scores will be for this one!   In the end 15/20 my best bands
   although best hour was on 40.  May have waited to long to move radio
   1 to 40M but 20 was producing well with lots less Qrn.  Was finally
   able to hold a good run freq on 20M which usually happens around
   evening grayline times.  80/160 did not produce too much...especially
   160.  Was bouncing between 20 and 40/80/160.  In the end pretty
   happy with the results although had a goal of 1000 Qso's and 200
mults.
   If 10 had panned out mite have made the 1000!

   All equipment and antennas played without flaw.  Unforntunately,
   after the test I tried to copy the log files over to A floppy it
   would not respond.....I then shut the PC off and naturally it would
   not reboot!!  Hence the abbreviated sumary above.

   Thanks to all for the Q's and for moving to other bands.

   Bob, W7GG