[3830] W0TM IARU 98 SOHP Mixed Mode

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W0TM IARU 98 SOHP Mixed Mode
From: gyantis@midtec.com (Gary Yantis)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 00:04:37 -0500
                       IARU HF Championship -- 1998
      Call: W0TM           Country/State:  United States/Colorado
      Category: Single Operator High Power Mixed Mode Unassisted
      Hours: 22

     BAND      QSO   QSO-PTS   PTS/Q    ZONES  HQ STNS
      160            8            16          2.00           4
            1
       80           32            94          2.94         10             2
       40         277         1077         3.89          27             7
       20         819         3009         3.67          41           19
       15         223           771         3.46          23           18
       10           23             85         3.70           8
     Totals   1382          5052         3.66        113           50

                 Score: 823,476 points

Equipment
Radio #1: FT-1000MP, Alpha 91B
Radio #2: FT-1000MP, Drake L4B
Antennas: KLM KT34XA, KLM 2 element 40, 80/160 dipole, R7000 vertical
Computers: Pentium PCs networked together (CT network serial ports)
Software: CT version 9.37
Other: MFJ voice keyer, N3JT parallel port CW interfaces

Comments:  My first attempt at a two radio single op setup.   Went better
than expected.   Added about 150 contacts and 20 multipliers with radio #2
doing S&P.   Ran a separate computer with each radio.  Left hand worked
radio #1 and it's PC keyboard and right hand worked radio #2 and it's PC
keyboard.  For a few minutes also tried using the FT-1000MP sub-receivers
for a third and fourth radio but discovered limitation of only two hands
and one brain precludes that from working.

Coming from the propagation black hole of Kansas City I've discovered the
mountains of Colorado are black times two.   At least we have cool summers
and skiing is much better than in Kansas!  100 watts and a tribander
anywhere east of St. Louis beats me to Europe on 15 unless conditions are
really good.   On the other hand it's somewhat satisfying to know the east
coast big guns can only listen as I run JA's on 40 at 1000Z. We're on
the edge of summer propagation to Europe on 40 so we can still work the
stronger Europeans on 40 while W6's have it much tougher.

Lost two hours on 15 Saturday evening during the best run time to Japan due
to a lightning storm.   The top of a 9,000 foot mountain is a great ham
location but it's no fun during a lightning storm!   Most excitement was
when the high voltage diodes in the Drake L4B blew (sound of a gunshot at
six feet)at 3 AM.   I was almost asleep at the time doing a JA run on 40.
I had no trouble staying awake after that!

Really a great contest.   Great rules and 24 hours is perfect.

Club Affiliation: Grand Mesa Contesters

               Signature:  Gary Yantis  (signed)

               MAILING ADDRESS:
               Gary Yantis, W0TM   gyantis@midtec.com
               P.O. Box 97
               Wolcott, CO 81655

W0TM at 9,000 feet 20 miles west of Vail, Colorado

Continent Statistics  -- CW
                           160     80     40     20     15     10    ALL
      %
North America       8      29   122   223     88       7    477      34.5
South America       0        1      6       5     12       5      29
       2.1
Europe                   0        0    16    211     71       0    298
     21.6
Asia                        0       0   122     86       4       0    212
     15.3
Africa                     0       0       0       2       0       0
       2       0.1
Oceania                  0       2       8       7       5       0      22
      1.6

Continent Statistics -- SSB
                            160     80     40     20     15     10    ALL
      %
North America         0       0      0    198     22      3     223
    16.1
South America         0       0      1        8      2       8       19
     1.4
Europe                     0       0      0      31     19      0       50
      3.6
Asia                         0       0      2      40       0      0
      42       3.0
Africa                      0        0     0        2       0      0
        2       0.1
Oceania                   0        0     0        6       0      0
        6       0.4