[3830] W7VJ IARU CW Only S/O AB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W7VJ IARU CW Only S/O AB
From: aisar@harbor-group.com" <aisar@harbor-group.com (Harbor group)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 10:18:55 +1000
                      IARU HF Championship -- 1998
                Single Operator, All Band

      Call: W7VJ                        Country:  United States
                                        Category: Single Operator

     BAND      QSO   QSO-PTS   PTS/Q    ZONES  HQ STNS

      160                  0          0     0.00                 0      0
       80                 23       75      3.26                 8      2
       40       188      712     3.79                22      6
       20       548     2108    3.85                35     19
       15       164      564     3.44                20      4
       10         17       51      3.00                 5      3

     Totals     940     3510     3.73                   90     34

                 Score: 435,240 points

Observations:

I kept thinking that this year surely would see better conditions and
higher scores.... not to be for me at least.  After 20 hours (about 17.5 of
actual operating) I figured I had done enough damage and the extra four
hours would be marginally productive (also a tradeoff between losing all of
Sunday to sleep which I couldn't afford to do).

First, thanks to all of you I worked!

I noticed that there were few casual domestic operators this year.  The
stations I worked were typically contacted on several bands, reflecting a
more serious effort.  Final score was 115K lower than last year, although
presumably I might have come close to last years score.  Had more mults and
equal number of HQ stations but Qs were certainly way down.

160     Nil Suppose could have made a few Qs but was too painful to QSX
80      Noisy but good source of several domestic QSOs and mults
40      Good band opening but JAs just weren't there in large number.  How was
the opening Sunday
        morning?
20      The money band.  Super late night EU opening - perhaps the high point
for me.
15      Ho hum.  JA opening marginal
10      A few goodies here but not much to get excited about.

All in all I had fun (in retrospect), but must characterize this contest as
painful over all.  When are condx going to improve?  See you in the fall.
 Gotta get some antenna work done now.

73 to all,

Andrew, W7VJ