[3830] N0AX ARRL CW Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N0AX ARRL CW Score
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 17:35:33 -0800 (PST)
You know, if you're quick, you can be in the Top Ten for about an hour :-)

         Operator : N0AX
         Category : Single-Op, Assisted, Low-Power
        Team/Club : Western Washington DX Club
                    Annual Low-Power, Assisted Club Derby

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

  160CW       13          13         39         8
   80CW       70          70        210        24
   40CW      114         114        342        45
   20CW      508         508       1512        77
   15CW      318         315        933        70
   10CW       52          51        153        26

 Totals     1075        1071       3189       250

    Final Score = 797250 points.

Equipment:

FT-990 & IC-735 + TR-Log software
2-element Gem Quad and Force-12 C-3
40-2CD
Pair of 1/4-wave 80m slopers
160-meter inverted L + 4 elevated radials
Sudafed and Ricola cough drops :-)

Soapbox Comments
________________

Wow! Just like the old days, hi. Regardless of how many Q's or countries,
though, it was SO NICE to hear many, many calls on 20 and 15 meters that I
haven't heard in several years.  Welcome back, friends!!  This is the
first year we have had EU on 15-meters since 1993 or 1994 here in
Washington state.  It was delightful to hear so many 100-watt stations
from Central and Eastern EU.

A personal best - lots of high points including several 6-banders, new
countries on 80, first time clearing the 1000Q barrier from home, finding
9X0A all alone on 20 in the last 1/2-hour, etc.  Flayer, the god of the
ionosphere, has surely smiled on the CW contest weekends this season.

Was 20 crowded on Sunday, or what?  I have never had to use the 250Hz CW
filter while tuning for S&P before.  I know this is probably standard
practice farther east, but very rare here.  Good fortune allowed me to
hold 14016.7 for more than an hour on Sunday, fending off several
incursions and attempted channel grabs, until it just got too grungy to
deal with.  Unexpected with low power, to be sure.

Was there a low point?  Maybe not having another big CW contest right
around the corner...now that I've got the grey matter trained to do both
radios at once, I have to quit until the end of May.  Maybe if I run two
copies of PED at once?  Sick!!

Guys and Gals - it was surely FB from start to finish this weekend.

73, Ward N0AX