HB9HFN, CQ WPX SSB 1996, SO/HP/AB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: HB9HFN, CQ WPX SSB 1996, SO/HP/AB
From: Cedric.Baechler@com.mcnet.ch (Cedric Baechler HB9HFN) (Cedric Baechler HB9HFN)
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 96 17:53:06 EST
My results:

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Prefixes

   40SSB     105         105        274       91
   20SSB     254         254        501      166
   15SSB       8           8         24        7

 Totals      367         367        799      264

    Final Score = 210936 points.

--------------------------------

Comments:

I entered this contest to test an old beam, 3 elements, I've got for free
from a friend. During the first night I staid awaked and worked on 40m with
a vertical. I didn't make any 80m qso's as the vertical is tuned for the CW
portion
of the band! As the propagation was bad to the states, I decided to erect
the beam the next morning. As I had only one coax cable going into my shack,
I could only be qrv on the higher bands. BTW I heard no signals on 10m...

I put the beam on a 4-5 meters mast and pointed it to the east, hoping to catch
some JA's. I worked a few stations from YB, HS and P29 but no JA's.
Soon after I rotated the beam into USA and staid here for the rest of the
contest. The beam seamed to work good so I could be happy with it and buy
next a rotor and an antenna switching box!

Antennas:
  vertical AP8 used at the beginning of the contest.
  Beam 3 elements Hy-Gain. Unknown model as I have no docs about it (could
  be a TH3JR)!

Transceiver:
  FT-1000 with linear Ameritron AL-1200

PC:
  486DX-40MHz + TR v5.61, no packet

Remarks:
  It was funny to operate this contest but I really prefer CW... so cu in WPX
CW!

73, Cedric HB9HFN

Happy Easter!