N0AX ARRL SO-LP Assisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N0AX ARRL SO-LP Assisted
From: hwardsil@seattleu.edu (H. Ward Silver)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:42:34 -0800 (PST)
         Category : Single-Op, Low-Power, Assisted (Multi-Op)

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

  160CW       12          12         36         7
   80CW       48          47        138        17
   40CW       94          94        279        41
   20CW      371         365       1095        73
   15CW       51          48        144        25
   10CW       14          14         42         6

 Totals      590         580       1734       169

    Final Score = 293046 points.

Soapbox Comments
________________

Oh, was this the ARRL DX contest?  I thought it was the East Coast -
Europe QSO Party ;-)  Cheer up, it can only get better from here.  We had
a little bitty EU opening on Sunday.  For you guys on the Atlantic
Seaboard, turn the beams southwest and put on the attenuator...that's all
we got...but it was exciting when it happened.  Funny thing, contesting,
it's always a relative thing to get excited about stuff that would be a
disaster at the cycle peak.

High points - getting through that Sunday Pileup (tm) on S92SS with my
peanut whistle, several new ones on 160, happening on 5N3/SP5XAR up in the
weeds just before AC1O posted him to the East Coast GigaCluster, being
KH6CC's first 6-band QSO.

Close Calls - dismissed the 9R1A spot as a typo on 9A1A until I noticed
the comment "Zaire", almost missed our mighty one-half-hour 10m opening.

Low points - sleeping on Saturday night, instead of Sunday...condx were
much better the second night (moral - don't sleep), otherwise a decent
time was had by all.  Listening to the basketball game on the second rig
helps while away those low-rate hours ;-)

Best Ears - EA8EA on 80, the only African worked on this band
Biggest Sig-to-Ears ratio - IQ4A on any band, those must be 300 Metric watts!
Most Tolerant - either S92SS or KP2/KE2VB

Equipment -     FT-990 & IC735, TR-Log 5.58
                160-m Inverted L with more wires added Fri (just
                        temporary, honey)
                80-m half-slopers, boy, do those things work!
                40-m 402-CD @ 50', boy, does that thing work!
                20-10, 2-ele cubical quad @ 50', a proven performer

Thanks to all the guys on the NW DX Cluster - it was a real pleasure
having the gang to BS with during the wee hours.  I sure appreciate the
spots and was glad to provide a few for you.  Even though there's no
"low-power assisted" category, it would have been much less fun doing it
without the packet link.

73, Ward N0AX